From 8 million in NYC to 6,000 in Hoopeston…
I took a trip down memory lane this weekend, going to National Sweetheart in Hoopeston, IL to cheer for Hannah Wright, Miss New York’s Sweetheart. The National Sweetheart Pageant is a competition for the 1st or 2nd Runners Up around the country to compete against national caliber competition…with none of the pressure and all of the fun. It is an incredible learning opportunity and experience, but even more importantly, a time where you truly connect with the girls and make amazing lasting friendships because you can all relate to each other with something uniquely special. The biggest thing I took away from competing at Sweetheart two years ago was something I shared with a few of the girls. You experience “competition” in a new light, with new feelings and attitudes that you can reflect upon at your next state competition. In that time of stress and natural pressure the next year as the returning runner up, you can remember how you felt at Sweetheart: full of stress-free excitement, having an inordinate amount of fun and genuine pride in yourself and the other girls. The reactions of preliminary winners, finalists, every announcement on the Sweetheart stage is so exciting to watch and truly unique. But when I saw it last night, and then I saw their dance party on stage after the competition, I turned to my mom and Hannah’s parents and just said, “THAT is what Miss America is.” I didn’t make Top Ten or win any award on the Sweetheart stage, but it fueled me with wisdom, memories and friendships that carried me through my journey towards becoming Miss New York and will continue on to Miss America. 




0 nhận xét: